Mommies, how do you know if your kids have good gut health?
I recently had a chance to listen to Dr. Chin Wai Seong, Consultant Paediatrian on this topic courtesy of Mamil in their #MamilMomMe event. It was an insightful afternoon for me although my youngest is already 6 years old. I believe knowing this does not only affect kids but adults alike.
Ms Jane Ee, Marketing Manager of Danone Dumex (M) Sdn Bhd opened the event by welcoming all mothers gathered to learn about how the gut, also known as the digestive system, performs many important functions that are essential for a child to grow and develop well.
Dr. Chin Wai Seong then took to stage and said “Experts have been saying for years that the gut plays a role beyond the basic function of digesting and absorbing the food we eat. Recent research shows that good gut health also contributed towards a healthy immune system and emotional well-being.”
3rd pic on the right is the correct way to let our kids sit on the “throne” if their legs is not long enough to reach the floor. Gravity helps!
Which type you think is the best stool? You should aim to have Type 4 or 5.
Dr. Chin highlighted that :
- Toddler >2 years old should have a normal bowel movement of 1-2 times per day.
- Good gut health, with good intestinal environment, helps promote softer stools for easier bowel movement
- The body’s immune system is also closely linked with gut health, as the gut contains 70% of the body’s immune cells, as such a healthy gut can help protect against infections too
- A healthy gut and good intestinal environment supports optimal digestion and absorption of nutrients, which is particularly important for a child’s growth and development
It is important to maintain a healthy gut by :
- eating more fruits and vegetables
- drink more water
- exercise regularly
- consume foods with PREBIOTICS
Key benefits of a healthy gut :
- Ensures proper digestion and absorption of nutrients that provide the building blocks that our body needs to live, to function and to stay healthy
- Healthy gut, healthy growth, happy child. A well nourished child with a healthy gut is able to play, learn, interact and explore necessary experiences for optimal brain development
- Contributes to a stronger immune system 60-70% of the body’s immune cells are located in the gut.
- Helps with a child’s cognitive, motor and socio-emotional development, which is essential for proper growth and development.
Mommies present had a Q&A session with Dr. Chin and thereafter a break-out session to exchange experience.
We were also treated to demonstration by Kiehl’s and Shu Uemura on the importance of skincare and personal appearance.
As we go thru the journey of motherhood, mothers tend to focus solely on their kids and ignore our ownself. It is equally important that as mothers we too take of ourself
Mamil as an expert in child nutrition, is proud to help mothers along their journey and through Mamil MomMe initiatives, Mamil hope to keep spreading awareness so that children can enjoy the benefits of good gut health. Mamil growing-up formulas contain an internationally-patented prebiotics oligosaccharide mixture GOS/IcFOS to support and help maintain a good intestinal environment. Those who wish to try Mamil products can sign up online for a 7-day trial packs.
with celebrity mom Aishah Sinclair who hosted the Mamil MomMe event
the boy who enjoys Mamil till today!